Friday, January 21, 2011

Quotes for Teacher 1

I was pretty lost and do not know what to do. So browsing through some blog, I read some meaningful quotes that I would like to share with all. As I read them through, they seemed to draw my insight on many things.

In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work.  It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.  ~Jacques Barzun

Well, this quote really made me think of many things my lecturer used to tell me when I was in the teacher training college. When I teach for a day, I am just looking through whether my learning objective has been achieved or not. But that one lesson may not meant much, today you teach the content, tomorrow the student will forgets them. You do not know how much your teaching may affects them, maybe their increase of knowledge, changes of attitude and personality, gaining of skill and many more. But, all these cannot be seen in a day or two. It may take years to see the fruit of your labor. I guess there is nothing more rewarding to see your pupils being successful in their life. Better still if they say thank you. The best any teacher can get is when a student said I am successful because of you. I know it is too much. But that kind of teacher really gives impact in student's life and change other around them. I hope maybe someday I can be a good teacher that impact people life. Personally, I just want to see them successful is good enough. 

A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.  ~Henry Brooks Adams

Aha... This is something my lecturer will say all the time. This will continue on with so you cannot teach the wrong thing, wrong conception to the pupils. More important please be a good role model. Students learn better through observing the teacher's action more than what they say. So what you did exert more influence on your student more than what comes out of your mouth. I shall forever remember a malay proverb "cikgu kencing berdiri, murid kencing berlari". It means that when a teacher pees by standing, the students will do it by running. Hence, you will never knows when a teacher influence stops. 

As an example, I used to have a good teacher in the school that is very passionate on her teaching. She really has a teacher's soul of helping out pupils coping with their learning problem. I used to be a very poor student that flunks my exams during my primary school times. She was really helpful, taking the effort and time to work it out with me. I slowly build up my foundation and my learning skill that gives me a solid foundation of what I am now. I am really grateful and thankful to her. She inspired me to be a teacher, a person that can really help the student no matter how bad the student is with great dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...